Thursday 17 July 2014

Book Review - Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire #1) by Mark Lawrence -

I really liked this book. I know there has been a bit of controversy over the MC's attitude and seeming lack of conscience, but for me this actually made it more appealing. I was curious to see what made Jorg tick. Sure, initially he comes across as an utter bastard, and even had he not suffered the trauma of watching his mother and brother brutally killed, you get the feeling he would still have turned out a bollocks. However as the story unfolds we realise he is more complex than simply a psychopath, and there are other forces at play.
In fairness, I prefer flawed heroes, and with Jorg we don't get a hint of a dark past, we get smacked in the face with it. I enjoyed the experience. Without spoiling the story, I was a little put off by the origins of the builders, especially the scene with the door, it took me out of the mood a little, I realise it is part of the overall story, and part of the world created, and it certainly wasn't enough to put me off enjoying the read. Another thing I had a hard time getting my head around was the age of Jorg, he seemed very young to have such developed feelings, words and actions, but age is relative to the average life-span, and well, when 40 is old age it doesn't take a huge leap. Overall I really enjoyed the book, and will definitely read the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment